Wednesday, May 13, 2015

One quarter done Three quarters more ..

Where did the quarter go !! Time flies .. Welล‚ I still have three more so let's catch up ..
  I write and that's about it ..no fancy words or eloquent bullshit ..but most times I don't write .. 
This year begun like all New Years !! Duh Moment .. Took part in a quilt competition which I actually won the third place .. Surprise of the year . That will be another post on how I made that quilt ..
This is my first tutorial ..so any goof ups .. Cut me some slack .๐Ÿ˜Š
It all started with a quick trip to chennai for a workshop where I met some lovely ladies & when one such woman who impressed  the hell out of me with her  attitude & asked me to make a fabric bowl I readily jumped ..a few days of self doubt and all the shenanigans . I did what I do best .. Wing it my way & voila my yellow leaf bowl is ready for show .. Thank you Anasuya for asking me ..if you hadn't this post would have not been up , more than that thanks for the joy of teaching someone who wants to learn ..

And here is the method I used .. No hard and fast rules ..enjoy the process ..come up with new ideas & have fun . If you need help send me a note will get back ..




Fabric Leaf bowl 

Materials :
Your choice of fabric ,I used a brocade cotton ,  collar canvas ,in a fancier term interfacing ( iron on ) not too fond of buckram  too much of starch powder gunking my machine , wadding , 150 gsm will be a better option .i used synthetic batting .


Cut two pieces of fabric in the size you want .. you can also use a different fabric for the back ,I chose to use the same , draw a line  in the middle as it will be easier to draw one side of the leaf & fold length wise & cut .. I drew a rough figure of an unknown leaf !! 

Once you fold in half & cut you will have two identical shapes ..like this 

.. Take your leaf ,draw an outline on the iron on interfacing , cut & iron it on both the fabrics because we need the stiffness ,. Also cut out the leaf shape from your wadding . I used two layers of 100 gsm wadding .
With tailors chalk or erasable pens draw notches on the leaf as marked 
Interfacing & wadding all set 
Clip and mark notches .. I prefer binding clips than pins for this . I found using pins made the layers shift a lot it's annoying ..clips hold it with a death grip .
 
Change your presser feet , needle , feed dogs etc according to your sewing machine ,. Have to show off I didn't need to I use a Bernina ๐Ÿ˜
Sew along the edges & also the notches because it's easier when we cut the notches or again we will have all the layers shifting .

Now cut away like this .

If you notice ice the sharp pointed leaf has a rounded edge , changed it . ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜

Now to join the notches using zigzag stitch . Set your machine on the slowest speed & sew . Make sure you catch the back of the fabric too . Try holding both the sides of the notch like a V while sewing . I do suggest if you are new to sewing a notch together this way , make a rough square patch and cut a V Shape and sew . 
While sewing the bottom of the leaf ,use the notch piece as a stem if you want . Or you can make one the same way you made the leaf .fabric , interfacing & wadding ..


Once it's stitched up . Trim all the edges & do a tight zigzag all around . If you are making a circular leaf like for a lotus you can use a binding .. 
I didn't find it stiff so I quilted on the whole leaf , you can see the erasable pen marks ..
It still looked unfinished so I stitched some veins too .. 


Have fun experimenting ✨


1 comment:

  1. Hello :-)
    I saw your interview on Hindu and came to your blog.
    Loved your works.
    The pics in this post are not visible.Can you pls chk.
    Eager to see the leaf bowl..

    ReplyDelete